The Cuxhaven trip was a lot of fun - the entire week I spoke practically nothing but German which, although sometimes really draining and stressful and embarrassing, was so good for my language skills, so hooray! On Tuesday Night they have a annual feature called "Unter der Stehlampe" which is basically an interview evening. We were asked to be interviewed and, although my German isn't so hot, agreed to do it. Elke sat on one couch and we sat on the other - all talkshow-esque, and we had fun with it. This was so great because people got to know who we were and so many people came up to talk to me during the rest of the week to get to know me better. Very nice.
We also went into the little town of Cuxhaven a few times. It reminded me a lot of Rockport/Gloucester since it was all about the harbor and touristy sea kitsch. Here you see us at one of our breaks, in a fun Italian ice cream cafe - yes, that's snow falling outside the window! (so no, we didn't swim in the Baltic on this trip!) Left to right: Eric, in our weekly Bible study, Markus and his wife Tina, Ilea, me, and Baerbel. Stefan was there too, but he was taking the picture!
I just had to take pictures of the desserts too since you see them all over the place here, but never anything like it in the US. Somebody at the table ordered the Toblerone sundae and I had to take a picture for my brother William, who adores Toblerone - wish you were there Will - and I bet you do too! I ordered a Bonita, which was a shallow ring of warm hot chocolate pudding with some banana gelato in the middle and fresh banana slices all around. Tasty! Check out that spaghetti ice cream with strawberry sauce in the background - Ingrid and William and I used to get that all the time when we lived in Copenhagen, remember?
Monday, March 31, 2008
Eis in the snow
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yummy Toblerone! Looks delish. By the way, so glad to hear that you miss the wide open spaces.....welcome to Indiana and our home sweet home!
LOVE from MOM :-)
Hi, Juliette. thanks for the email. Our internet was out for most of the day, and now my mail still isn't going out. I will send you Sam's itinerary. I thought I did already. Sorry about that. With me, sometimes just thinking about something is as good as doing it! Too bad that doesn't work for things like exercise.:-)
Post a Comment