Sunday, March 30, 2008

And we're back!

Wow it was so great to go up there! I hadn't realized how claustrophobic Marburg's hills and city made me feel until we got into the flat region of Germany that opens into the sea. I miss wide open spaces so much! I really enjoyed seeing the big, open sky meet the wide, open fields. Here you see the vast expanse of salt marsh that ran behind the retreat center and out to the sea. We had some great walks here. (It reminded me a lot of Ipswich and Essex.)I was looking forward to seeing Big Blue, but it turned out to be more Big Brown. Cuxhaven is the point where the mouth of the River Elbe meets the sea, and a lot of backwash seemed to be going on. Although Cuxhaven was pretty and the town was quaint, I think further trips to the Baltic will see me dipping my toes in on beaches further away. (rumored 45 minute ferry rides to outlying islands have piqued my curiosity.)

I'm a little swamped with all that goes with returning home after being away for a week, so we'll post more on the trip in the days that come.

No comments: