Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Monkey Rock

We just saw a scary apartment. As in, I'm still recovering from the trauma of just visiting it. The building was built in 1973 and is known about town as the Monkey Rock. (not me in the pic, just something found online) I don't know how it got that name. I felt like I was in some horror movie - it was dark, poorly lit, concrete halls, echoes reverberating everywhere, dingy walls, some kind of dark green linoleum on the floors...creepy.

We rode a creaking elevator to the 6th floor and saw a corner apartment. The words "freshly renovated" were what drove us to even call about the place. It was a whole room smaller than what we'd really like, but we were curious. We walk in, kiddie stickers were plastered all over the front door, and weird beige lino. was covering the floors (think 60's industrial with bad seams). The kitchen was old. The fridge was dorm-size. The view was frightful. The bathroom was covered in pink 60's tile. Beat up plastic tracks were screwed to the ceiling for curtains. The storage room allotted to that apartment was on a different floor that looked like scary places in movies about WWII Germany.

Apparently the "freshly renovated" term applied to all new windows and balcony doors that were installed last year. They were also planning on putting in new fake-wood floors in 3 areas (not hall or kitchen though). And they would paint the apartment first, in any color we liked.

Oh.

We said no.

I hope I don't have nightmares tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Run!!!!!

Antje said...

Braunschweig has one too! Check this out:
http://www.locr.com/photo_detail.php?id=13310537