Friday, September 14, 2007

up, down, and all around - just like the bread bag

I rode down to the bakery this morning to pick up some bread and was again struck by how they close up the paper bags once they stuff all the rolls in there. They grab the corners and then flip the bag around and around. Somehow it makes a plain bag of rolls a little special.

Yesterday afternoon Stefan and I went to a friend's birthday party for 'coffee and cake' which seems to be the German version of the British tea time. That was fun; lots of new people to meet and lots of german speaking for me. Last night I went to a 'girl's night' while Stefan stayed at home and did all his school preparations. I had a lot of fun -- girls getting together without the guys was always fun in the US, and it's the same here it seems. I really enjoyed spending time in such a low key (and giggly) environment getting to better know some of the women I see and talk to every Sunday night at the International Worship Service. We met at one couple's house (the husband had to work the late shift at the hospital) and enjoyed drinks, snacks, and a chick flick. Stefan later commented how it's beyond him why a group of girls by themselves - without guys, even their husbands, just can totally kick back and connect in a way that doesn't usually happen in a mixed group. I don't know why that is either, but I don't really care! I had fun, and also had fun driving there and back (I really could've biked, but I just miss driving!).

Other news: I started the German class at the VolkshochSchule and it just wasn't the right level for me, so yesterday I dropped the class. I knew it would be easy for me and likely review, but I didn't want to wait another 5 weeks before the appropriate level began, so I just signed up. However, it was literally so boring - the teacher could've upped the level some, but the vast majority of the 17 others were barely comfortable saying things like "my name is" "she lives in Marburg" etc. It was just painful. On top of the fact that 2 days of the week I had a teacher who was just horrible - she stood there and talked about herself and barely involved students and just didn't teach. The other teacher is the complete opposite: attentive, super prepared, well respected by the students, involves everybody, explains things, etc. However, she also said it wasn't the best fit for me, so it looks like another 5 weeks of nothing-in-particular.

** funny memory: when I was in jr high and sr high school in Davis, CA I used to take the bus to school. Old city buses were used for school buses and so they would flip the plastic roller in the destination box to say "Nowhere in Particular" (no idea why they didn't just say 'charter' or 'school bus'). That is how I would go to/from school, on the Nowhere in Particular bus. Thanks too google I found some pictures - good grief, they do look creepy don't they? And saying they were going to Nowhere in Particular too...**






So back to being a full-time Hausfrau. I have a list of some fun projects to work on and I'm going to try get some real handwritten letters out. I'm also going to find my gloves and go exploring on my bike (it's already down in the 60's here in the daytime!).

5 comments:

Karoliina said...

So funny about the bus! I'm so sorry the class didn't work out. At the same time I have about three weeks of "nothing in particular" scheduled in as well, so maybe we can start a support group for the purpose. =)

Anonymous said...

nothing like a good ttc bus. you should be on the steering committee. now get back to work.

Juliette said...

phantom uncle! =O
cool......

Antje said...

I love Baecker Mueller!! Did you try Streuselkuchen yet? My all-time favorite...(besides American cheesecake) :-)

Juliette said...

yes, it's a weakness...you are so right!