Friday, September 21, 2007

Happy Fried-day!

Stefan had his school's "Open House" last night and didn't get to leave the school until nearly 11pm! This means he didn't really make it to bed until a little after midnight. Today I am walking up to the school (a bit of a hike, literally) and we literally are rushing to do a long list of things right after he leaves the school: buy dog food in another town for his mom, get to his mom's place to let the dog out, grab some lunch, walk the dog, and rush off to our afternoon appointment with Joel at the FTA in Giessen -- after which we will likely have to rush to the train station to meet Stefan's mother who will be returning after a day trip to see a sick friend. phew! It's FRIED-DAY! Boy are we ready for the weekend!

Parent's Night was good though, says Stefan. He was able to meet nearly all the parents of the kids in his homeroom and had a few enlightening conversations. It helps him be better teacher to know who/what the kids have going on at home.














Yesterday I went for a bike ride out to the edge of town. I like riding my bike here because it feels so safe: there are bike lanes for bikers, nice wide bike paths along the river and other places, etc. It reminds me of riding my bike in Davis, and of the rides I would do way out around the sod and tomato fields. I stopped and turned around at this sign, mainly because my ears were in freezing pain. I'm going to try to go out longer on the bike; I'm thinking of building up to going all the way to Giessen in October. I need to take my bike back to it's shop for a check-up as part of it's warranty and I think I could ride there and come back on the train. We shall see. 30+ kilometers is a long ride....I DEFINITELY need to find my gloves and ear thingys!

I found two cool links that talks about this apparently 4-star bike trail through the Lahn River Valley: click here and here. We need to get Stefan a bike!

3 comments:

Lucy said...

I hope you aren't too fried to enjoy the weekend. :-) Those German bike paths look amazing! What fun you must be having as you cruise around. Stay warm!

Love, MOM

Karoliina said...

So does this mean we should bring our bikes when we come for our visit? =)

Juliette said...

yes yes bring bikes! or you can rent. you can even rent a little trailer thing for Tinsae to ride behind you in.