Tuesday, September 25, 2007

quick-ish update

Well, what DID we do all weekend? I can't remember, it was so busy it was a blur. Friday we met up with Joel at the FTA in Giessen and it's always nice to see him. Stefan signed up for his 1st Corinthian's exegesis course for Wed. afternoons. We got the grand tour of the new building there and had hot chocolate. We'll see more of Joel later. Then we rushed to the Giessen train station to meet Stefan's mother, who had been visiting a friend. This is what a lot of German passenger trains look like.

Saturday we drove around the hill behind our house and walked around this tower. The neon lights on it are a design taken from a church door here in the city and celebrate the year of Saint Elisabeth, long story. Nice views from the little turret though!

Roland stopped by on Sunday afternoon and I had made blueberry cake. We had a nice time talking over some things, among which was the possibility of joining he and his wife on their visit to the Frankfurt Book Fair in October, which actually sounds really exciting to me and I hope it works out! The more I read about it the more I want to go. There is also a day open to the general public, so if all else fails, perhaps we can catch the train down that day. (click here to see what all the hoopla is about)

Sunday night the sermon was given by Sam, who lived in our apt. before we did. A British fellow who married a German gal and is studying here. We chatted afterwards and delivered some mail that had been left at our place. We also saw the American couple and they will be coming over on Wednesday night to join our english-speaking small group (well, we're in english now, we'll be morphing into German over time, it's already kinda mixed anyhow!).

Last night (Monday) we had the first meeting of the Old Testament Survey class. Three people couldn't make it, but I think it went well. Stefan had prepared, but I think the first class is always a bit slow since you have to do some kind of introduction, etc. Also, most people only got their readers the night before and didn't have much time to do all the reading, so it may not have been as interactive as it will be in the future. I have to say people were a lot more into it by the end of the session (even though we go until 10pm!) and dialoguing about it, etc. so that's good.

Today I am meeting some girls for lunch - auf deutsch! I will leave you with a few pictures of some doors in Marburg. I like how one even has a little cat door!

No comments: