In my Orientierungs course (part of my visa requirement) we're learning about the Grundgesetz, which is the Basic Law that was set up for Germany as a kind of constitution after WWII. The British, US, and French governments help set this up, and it indeed is basic, for they had no idea that East/West Germany would be separated for so long, preventing the forming of a true constitution.
Anyhow, the two articles in the GG that will never change are about human rights and justice. These are basic rights that people in many western countries enjoy, often take for granted, and can use as a defense in times of trouble. Of course there are times when people have said they are not fully enforced where and when they should be, and I don't want to make light of that, but for the most part, it's not a huge issue in say, the US, Canada, or Europe.
Which brings me to Zimbabwe. I'm not as well-researched as some, and certainly not as eloquent as others on this subject, but in the past several days I have been reading more and more on this and have been growing more and more appalled and outraged at the moral and physical injustice that is going on there. It is so blatant!
So when I read yesterday that China is now entangled in all of this, I was floored. I mean, how dumb and wrong, on so many levels! China has sent a shipment of arms to Zimbabwe on a ship, docked, unloaded, and passed approval in a South African port. Click here for the Reuters report. Not only that, but 70 senior Zimbabwean military officials and 10 Chinese military men have checked in and are meeting at a hotel in Harare. Click here for that report. What's up with that?!
We live in an imperfect world, I know, but I believe it is also morally and spiritually wrong to just sit there and be numb to it. If nothing else, at least read and be aware of it, and pray for it. I know one human can't intervene everywhere, but leaving it to an overworked few isn't right either. I'm going to look into some options for concrete help and will post more on Zimbabwe later.
Thursday, April 17, 2008
and justice for all
Woe to you who make iniquitous decrees, who write oppressive statutes, to turn aside the needy from justice and to rob the poor of my people of their right, that widows may be your spoil, and that you may make the orphans your prey! Isaiah 10:1-2
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Thanks for sharing the information and your thoughts. I agree with you so much!
Oh, my hero. I'm so glad you're posting on this. I've been so discouraged to post anything lately. Anyway, I am following the news and talking to my friends and will edit (not write this time) another article today. It will be published tomorrow at iijd.org. I'll email you with ideas although the truth may well be that we, as Westerners, can't do anything but wait right now. But hey, South Africa FINALLY issued a statement saying the results should be released (in their minds, a negative thing to say about their neighbor). Well, it only took them say a decade to come up with those wise words!
Gotta love 'em South African union workers! The Chinese ship is now on its way to its next port: Luanda, Angola - with no border to Zimbabwe. The port workers simply decided they wouldn't unload the ship, much against what the government had already stated. Then the court decided that the ship could not be unloaded. Bye bye Chinese!
hi! Ich kann leider nicht alles verstehen aber ich glaube, das Orientirungskurd sehr langweilig ist! Oder?
Zum Glück bin ich nicht mehr da...ahahah
Viele liebe Grüsse,
deine Claire
Post a Comment