Since having one car in Germany is plenty expensive (the annual tax for an 11 year old car is a high 3 digit number!) and considering that Stefan will need it the most to transfer teaching materials from school to home (no office space at school, only in house), it was important for me to get my own set of wheels - so here they are, all 2 of them! I've even got a snazzy little basket on the back that I can pop off and take in the grocery store, so here you see it full of bakery rolls, sausage, and compost bags - all tucked nicely into my Trader Joe's bag from the US.
My height created serious logistical problems of finding a good bike for me. Since it would be my main form of transportation I needed the girly bike bar, also saves me from kicking stuff on the back racks when I've got books or groceries stacked back there! We finally found a model with a seat shaft long enough to accommodate my height.....what a process: 2 cities and numerous villages and all their bike shops....and we ended up buying a brand new bike as none of the used ones we looked at were tall enough. I can't remember the last time I had a new bike! My last bike was my dad's new one that I pretty much took over and even took across the country to college.
yes, it really does say 'Torpedo' on it, and no, nobody's ever cracked a joke about whether I go as fast as a real torpedo because I doubt many Germans know that word. Feel free to make a lame joke about it. I do think it's hilarious that our neighbors bike (seen behind mine) says 'Steppenwolf' on it. ha ha..
Thursday, August 16, 2007
Hot Wheels
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hey, congrats on the new family member. I feel like I'm constantly congratulating you. I should come up with something supercool so you could congratulate me in turn, shouldn't I? Haha. Well, take it easy Torpedo Girl and stay away from those autobahns... (Lame enough?)
That is one snazzy looking bike!
Mom
"Torpedo" actually means the same in German and in English, so there might be some mocking in the future. :)
Frank Hering
i stand corrected...bracing myself for mocking...
Post a Comment