Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Class act

Yesterday Stefan got his classroom assignment and course plan for the year. He will be the American equivalent of a 'homeroom' teacher for a group of 5th graders. He'll be teaching a kind of Social Studies class just for his homeroom group, otherwise almost solely Religion classes and a few English classes. Stefan was hoping to teach mainly English classes, but as the school is down a Religion teacher it looks like he'll be doing more of that instead. You can see the room he'll be in most of the time in the other picture.

Yesterday our landlord came by and, after making a horrible racket and leaving a trail of water through the house, we have a huge hole in our kitchen cabinets where he ripped the old dishwasher out. Failing to get fix it himself he finally agreed to buy us a new dishwasher. I'm really hoping the new one comes soon as the tiny kitchen sink makes washing dishes quite awkward....

Monday night we met with others who are involved in organizing the weekly International Worship Service. Stefan is preaching next week on the beginning of the Lord's Prayer, on "Our Father". Prayers as he prepares for the sermon (while also preparing for the first day of school which is the morning after the sermon!) would be greatly appreciated!

Stefan will also be preparing to teach a course in October. This was explored earlier this summer and it seems the majority of the people really would love to have this course. It is an Old Testament Survey course, using GCTS' Dr. Kaminsky's materials. Since all the materials are in English, he will be teaching the course in English, so that greatly shrinks the potential audience, but we counted 16 hands raised on Monday night, so I think that is plenty anyhow! If all goes well he will offer it again in the spring for those who couldn't make the fall course. People just seem really hungry to get some knowledge of this kind and although it will take a lot of Stefan's time, we also think this is relatively simple since the materials are so user-friendly! More on that as time goes by.

So Stefan is seriously busy! Meanwhile I am shuffling things around the house playing the make-it-fit game...I think I'm losing until we can afford some decent living room storage. My next intensive German course doesn't begin until the second week of September, so I've got some time to keep unpacking and rearranging stuff. Later today I am visiting a friend with a sewing machine and a cute baby. I get to play with the baby while she works some magic on our curtain situation, good deal!

1 comment:

Lucy said...

Love the classroom, Stefan! Sucn nice large windows. Also, the plane event was neat. Dad and Will wish they could have been there, too!

Love you,

Momo