Tuesday, May 27, 2008

keep spiders out

I tried this little home remedy and it works like a dream. We're due for a repeat spray, but thought to share this with you:

How not to hurt spiders, but keep them out of your home:

1 quart of vinegar + 1 tablespoon warmed up coconut oil (asian grocery for cheaps) + 1 tablespoon dishwashing soap (emulsifies the solution and keeps coconut oil from solidifying again) - swirl around, put in a spray bottle, and off you go!

I haven't sprayed IN my house, just all around the window and door frames outside. It lasts about 4 weeks or until a heavy rainstorm, and then needs a repeat spray. The amount of oil in the spray shouldn't cause damage, but the acid in the vinegar might. Test a small area first if you're concerned. Spiders won't cross the barrier, letting you keep your house to yourself.

I love this stuff!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to send this to my sister -- she's actually been known to carry them outside. Me? I stomp 'em.

Juliette said...

normally we squish them too - but this spray means we have that many few weeks of unpleasant surprises in the house ; )

Anonymous said...

Chemistry lasts longer and leaves less residue...and if people would read the labels(!!)they would find most of today's bug juice is quite harmless when used appropriately.

However, I must applaud your formulating skills and determination for extermination!

D. Chemist

Juliette said...

yes, Stefan gave in and bought poison for the giant weeds in the yard and driveway! yay!