While I'm sitting here waiting for our front yard flower project to arrive in the mail -- or getting panicky about upcoming exams -- other people in my family are off watching car crashes.
My family (except my mom, who was in Williamsburg, VA with her sisters) went to the Indy 500 races. Yes, this is the same family who only ever had 'educational' vacations, listened to classical music, and went to symphonies and operas with their children. This is also the family who never watched sports unless it was Carolina basketball (go Tarheels!) or tennis when visiting my grandfather. I broke the mold in high school by joining the crew team and becoming a closet U2 fan, yes, so rebellious.I blame the move to the midwest (I kid, I kid!). They've been there for about 4-5yrs now and they recently bought a large flat screen tv. This is perfect for watching hockey, Colts football, and - gasp - car races. Dad finally got a decent grill too, so you can imagine! So that's how they have fun. I'm told that they really only watch Formula 1 races (and not so much NASCAR) because Chris, my brother-in-law, is and engineer that deals with car parts, so the technology in Formula 1 races is appealing. If you're curious as to how they're different, click here.
Looks like they had a good time, though, doesn't it? Left to right: William, Chris, and Ingrid. Ingrid sent me a one line update "We had perfect weather and saw some good car crashes." Below is winner Scott Dixon. He takes home a $2.5 million dollar prize.

2 comments:
Shocking that your family has strayed so far as to purchase a flat screen TV and go to the track! Before you know it, they will be cooking BEER CAN CHICKEN on that grill.
Dad
Shocking as it might be but I've been to the Indy 500.... a few years back. Yes I still have a 9 inch TV with rabbit ears. I'm liking it too.
Post a Comment