Yesterday, thanks to the poor timing of flipping over a huge glass of water onto the bed as I shook out the duvet, Stefan spent the entire afternoon washing and drying our two sets of sheets and a set of towels at the laundromat. He plugged in his laptop and got to work while back at home I strategically hung the sopping down duvet at various angles over the living room radiator in attempt to dry it out.
You would've thought that a barrel of water had spilled with all the hassle it caused. I couldn't simply strip the bed and air dry the sheets - both drying racks and all other hang-able locales were already loaded with wet laundry slowly drying. The extra set of sheets were still dirty from before our trip b/c I hadn't had a block of days in which to reserve the drying racks for 3-4 days of sheet drying -- b/c invariably I would have to wash other laundry in the meantime.....grrr.... I REALLY WISH WE HAD A DRYER!!! Rainy freezing German winters are really not the time to be without a dryer! So 3 loads of laundry later and 20 euro in the hole (yes, I said 20 euro!!) Stefan came home with a set of fluffy towels (gasp!) and 2 sets of clean sheets - hooray! Just seeing my towels be fluffy again was worth the 20 euro...we will have to ration them out - as in, no fluffies get packed for gym trips!
Meanwhile I cleaned haus and got it spotless for last night's guests. Our friends Andrew and Hillary came over and we went for a walk about town before returning home for some hot apple strudel with warm vanilla sauce - yum!
Here's a shot of Christmas at my parents' house - one cat, Simone, is poised to jump with the tree in the background. We had a really nice Christmas with my family this year!Then a shot of Milo the other cat - all 20 pounds of himself sprawled on the floor like usual - no, he's not playing dead, this is his relaxed position!
And a shot of my dad at the old Crokinole board many generations of Hobbs kids grew up playing on. I heard my great-uncle Albert made it back on the family farm. As usual my dad just schooled me in it! If you're not a crazy Canuck you probably don't know what Crokinole is all about, so click here to find out more.
Sunday, January 20, 2008
Soft towels, Christmas, and Crokinole
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We loved having you visit! It was over much to quickly. Hope to see you this summer, though.
Love you, Momo
oh no...it's sometimes difficult to get things dry in rainy Marburg..I've been there!
It's GREAT that you write again! :-)
Post a Comment