One of our class assignments on Thursday was to examine a paragraph from that day's newspaper and find the typos. This was difficult, especially when it was about something interesting and free that was taking place starting that afternoon. So Claire, my teacher, and I decided to go check out the "French Market" that was taking place downtown. Indeed it was French, complete with table clothes with Provence patterned fabrics, stinky wheels of cheese, old-fashioned French music blasting from speakers, and fabulously scented French milled soaps.
Aside from the super-tasty and perfectly flaky butter croissants available, there were other French treats, like pflaummekuchen (pancakes) which were nothing like American ones. A large flat crispy bread spread with a thin layer of cream cheese and sprinkled with thinly sliced onions, diced meat, and shredded cheese - then toasted in an oven - delightful! Here's a picture of my teacher offering Claire (my French classmate) a bite.
Later, Stefan stopped by during his lunch break and indulged in one and then chased it down with a Nutella crepe. I opted for a less sweet version and had a cinnamon crepe. They were great! Stefan had a chance to finally meet my 'good' teacher and Claire, the two people he hears the most about in my class. They later duly reported to me that they found him quite charming. (tell me something I don't know! :)
Another French treat was the marmalade man: I indulged in buying a jar of orange lavender marmalade in hopes that I can concoct a tart or perhaps chicken dish with which to incorporate the marmalade. (I'm thinking of the lavender chicken I used to make in the US...yummy, yet difficult here as there is no fresh lavender readily available. We know what's going in my garden this spring!)
Oh yes - and the final, and true, delicacy: Donkey sausage (Esel Wurst). Yes, you read correctly - sausage made from donkey meat. I mean really, what do you expect from a culture that also calls frog legs and snails delicacies?? I was vehemently against it on day 1, and then today I decided to try a sample with the rest of the class, mostly b/c I thought it would be cool to say I had, but it was so icky!! All I could think of was "the poor donkeys!" and of Winnie-the-Pooh's buddy, Eyeore. It didn't taste horrific, but it sure wasn't a taste I'd like to experience again!
I'm kicking back now, ready for a month of no-class. I have a few things I'd like to accomplish, so we'll see how that goes. Still no word on if we have enough registrants for the level 6 German class.....I've been told to check back after Feb. 17th.
Thursday, January 24, 2008
All things French in Germany?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
hihihih I never heard of donkey sausage! funny!!
besides that it sounds like yummy day for you!
You probably meant Flammkuchen because Pflaumenkuchen would be a cake with plums. Did you ever try Pflaumenmus? Do you like it?? I am addicted but no one likes it here.. :-(
ha, so funny about my typo, one of the girls in our class was sorely dissapointed b/c she too thought it was Pflaumen and not Flamm, oh well!
no, never tried Pflaumenmus...what is it? i'll have to ask Stefan!
Try Pflaumenmus!!! It's similar to plum jam but BETTER!! :-)
Davids' Mom was disappointed bc it was not so sweet- but that's true for a lot of German things in comparison to American things. Don't you think so?
ok, i'll have to find it and give it a try, although Stefan is really the jam/marmalade person in our house!
and yes, I agree, things in general here are either not really sweet, or TERRIBLY sweet (ie: most juices) - it's pretty hard to find a happy medium around here! - coming from an American that is!
hey, Hat diese marmelade nicht geschmeckt? Warum hast du mir das nicht gesagt? Ich habe diesen Markt so lustig gefunden!
Claire
Post a Comment