Wednesday, January 30, 2008

P.S. - Bring Kleenex!

Last night we joined our friends, Andrew and Hillary, and went to see a movie here in town. What made this something of an event is that we've only been to one movie theater here since arriving last June, and it was Andrew and Hillary's first time.

German movie theaters at first seem just like American ones......until you buy your tickets. You can pay a little more for 'prime' seats', which basically is the back half of the movie theater, or you can sit in the front section, which, frankly, isn't bad if you sit in the back of it. Then you have to tell the ticket agent which row and which seat - it's all assigned, like going to a ball game or the opera, so funny to me!

Once you buy your tickets you're then free to see if any of the snacks are appealing. Nothing too new here, except you can also opt to sip beer or champagne at your seat. Champagne, seriously! I'm not really shocked about the beer (it is Germany after all), but the champagne....who buys that at the movies?? In the US I usually buy a box of chocolate covered raisins, or sneak in my own snack, but last night Stefan and I indulged in a small bag of popcorn. German popcorn is definitely NOT buttered or salted - instead it's sweetened. Oh, you say, it's kettle corn, no biggie, right? No, this is more like popcorn drizzled with sugar water/syrup. It's still pretty good, but not what you're really wanting if you're used to the salty, buttery stuff at the theater!

We saw 'P.S.-I Love You', which was such a weepy movie! Seriously, I think every female in the theater was crying the entire way through (sappy cute, then really sad, then sweet again) and I think many of the men were often misty-eyed too! We saw it in English - once in a while the big theater here will show a film in it's original language, which is nice!

Today Stefan's mom will be joining us for lunch and our small group will be meeting at our house tonight, so I better go finish getting the house ready!

4 comments:

Antje said...

Sweet!!! :-) I miss German popcorn. :-(

If you go to the Sektmatinee on Sunday morning, you get a free glas of champagne with your movie ticket!

It's soooo cool, how we discover the same things in each others country! I asked David where we will sit and was surprised to hear we can sit anywhere!

Juliette said...

I know, so fun isn't it?!

I actually think I like the idea of assigned seats better, that way you KNOW you won't get stuck way out on the sides or in the very front row!

Kat said...

Hello,

my name is Kathrin, I am one of Antje´s friends - and I as well as my boyfriend Tobias we both work at the Cineplex :D!
We would love to tell you that we do sell salted popcorn in small bags ;)!!! Unfortunately without melted butter (although I did my very best to convince the managers of it *mp*).
If you have got any further questions concerning tickets or whatever do not hesitate to ask ;)... (www.kats-tree.de)

Greetings
Kat

Juliette said...

Thanks Kat, I will keep that in mind! - so funny that you can pop in and tell me that - love it! I have no idea who's reading this blog nowadays what with Antje's link to us and such ;)
ps-keep working on your manager - I'm sure a cult following for salted buttered popcorn would develop, if only people could taste it! - I'd lead the way!