Saturday, December 1, 2007

Marburg b(u)y Night















(Rathaus in blue, Advent-calendar windows, old-time ferris wheel set up in front)


Last night I was sitting on the couch and as I looked out the window I noticed that the castle was green. I thought I was seeing things, then it turned magenta, then white, then blue, then back to green again! Stefan was watching by now and after a little web search we realized it was yet another Marburg fest, called "Marburg b(u)y Night". Which, I think, was basically an excuse to start the Weihnachtsmarkt a night early (since today is Dec 1, the technical opening day) - and we want to start all parties on a Friday night, right?!

Anyhow it was cool. We walked into town and saw all the old buildings lit up in various colors (by eco-light bulbs of course, we're in Germany) and the shops were open until midnight (they usually close at 4 or 5) and everybody had tall cafe tables outside their shops and were selling Gluhwein. Needless to say, I didn't have any! It was enough to smell it on everybody's breath as we shuffled along the streets of the old city, shoulder-to-shoulder with what seemed to be the entire population of Marburg.

Some of the cool little wooden huts were going with some fun German stuff: German edible treats - marzipan, gingerbread, stollen, and lebkuchen:

Beeswax like you have never seen it before:

Carved wood Christmas decor (I'll have to get a better shot of these, they're pretty cool):
** Sorry for the graininess of the pictures, this is where my cell phone camera just doesn't cut it. Also, by clicking on any pictures you can make them bigger.

2 comments:

Antje said...

Wir wünschen euch von Herzen eine wunderbare Adevntszeit in Marburg!

Lucy said...

Yum, I could go for those German edible treats! Stollen, for example!

Love you, Mom