Saturday, September 6, 2008

Language Study

This week has flown by, so I'll do a little catch up today. I took the placement exam at the university and saw my results last Friday. I am scheduled to start with Level 3. I was SO disappointed! I really had hoped to start at least in Level 4. I took Level 1 during our first month in Germany last year in June, so this means that all that work I did at the VHS this past year, as well as passing the Zertifikat Deutsch exam, was only the equivalent of doing Level 2. How annoying!!

They told me that after trying 1 week of Level 3 things could change based on how the teachers thought I was doing. So, we'll see. Of course, my goal is to really get this language down, so if I really need to start at Level 3, then that's just the way it's got to be. Oh well. At 400 Euro/6wk class it also would be nice to shell out the cash for one less class. Hm.

All of my disappointment was countered by my friend, Tarik, who I ran into when getting my results. He was so excited to see the posted list and find my name on it. He's from Morocco, also married a German, and we'd been in classes together in the past. He was looking forward to finally having a friend in his class. Apparently he's the only non-Chinese in his current level, so he's feeling a little left out. But since he's starting this week, and I'll have to wait until October to start, he went back to being dejected. Ah well, at least we'll run into each other next month!

No comments: