So I've pulled together and sent off 4 Bewerbungen - job applications - and sent them off. With lots of help from Stefan, who is currently home hobbling about. He threw his back out on Sunday morning lifting the laptop onto the desk (go figure) and had to get injections from his Dr. on Monday. He was told not to go to this seminar where he'd have to sit for 9hrs/day and told instead to stay home. So, home he is, and busy helping me with applications, interspersing the days with shouts of pain as he attempts to tie his shoes, or some other such thing. Thankfully he's doing MUCH better, but still has some needed healing.
Meanwhile, applications are done. Not without much ado, though! A few things are different here:
1) Paper applications, still commonly requested.
2) You have to state your date of birth. - illegal question for employers to ask in the US during the hiring process
3) You have to state your marital/family status. - also an illegal question in the US
4) You have to include a wallet-sized picture of yourself. - do I have to say it???
5) I kid you not they wanted a copy of my high school diploma - ha ha, somewhere in some box probably in my parent's garage?!?? Does any American know where their high school diploma is?? Oh, that just made me laugh!
6) So then of course you can reason they want a copy of my college degree - which is fun because it says 2006 on it (last bill paid off), the transcript says 2000 or 2001 was when the last class was taken (depends on how you read it), and my alumni affiliation status is with 2000. Nevermind that no diploma of mine has a Zeugnis on it - a number grade for my whole degree program. Kind of like GPA, but that's meaningless here. Oh FUN FUN FUN!Yesterday we copied, signed, stuffed and mailed the applications. Not cheap. Also not cheap was the 42 euro photo session (I was charged for 2 sittings since I blinked during the first set - how is that fair???) and 8.50 charge for 4 pictures to be printed. SO annoying! But given the time crunch we had no time to argue, bwah! I had no idea which was better/more professional, color or black/white, so I did 2 of both. Color pictures went to the 2 Ausbildung places and the 2 black/white prints went to the main HR offices of 2 firms.
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Bewerbung
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Love those photos of you! May I have one please?? On the other hand, I guess we can take some of you in person when we come visit you in a few weeks!!! yay!
This is so painfully funny... haha. Pictures are gorgeous, of course. So funny about the lady on the phone. Sounds incredibly frustrating. It's like us trying to tell US authorities that Finland doesn't do marriage certificates with raised seals. So far we've been fine though. John has been laughing about the exact same questions when it comes to Finnish job applications. They all want to know how old he is!
Post a Comment