Thursday, October 1, 2009

Pflaumenkuchen for the 'instructors'

Yesterday I made an overabundance of some chunky apple and walnut spice muffins and left a few by our neighbors door in their absence. Last night our doorbell rang and we were delivered another pretty red dahlia and branch of red berries in addition to our freshly scrubbed bowl. The muffins were a hit. So much so that today, as I was working on a project, I thought I heard footsteps in the stairwell and when I reached a stopping point, went to investigate. Here's what I found:


Two slices of freshly baked Pflaumenkuchen from our downstairs neighbors! Plums are in season and plum cake is a typical fall German dessert. It isn't a very sweet cake, but the plum flavor is the real star. You can also serve it with a dollop of freshly whipped cream. This will be a pleasant surprise for Stefan when he comes home from all his afternoon meetings!

Tomorrow I start my class at the university. I'm pretty amazed that things are actually coming together and I'm only a teensy bit nervous. After several 2hr meetings and lots of phone calls, emails, and research, I think we're prepared. Yesterday was my first viewing of our syllabus - it is SO WEIRD to see my name under the Instructor heading!! We currently have 9 students signed up for the course, which is about what we were hoping for. Three of them will be 'my' charges based on their fields of study and my area of experience. If you'd like to see the English version of our course description on the Uni Marburg page, click here. (I'm just now seeing my name is totally butchered in one place...)

2 comments:

Lucy said...

That plum cake looks sooooo good! I have the dollop of whipped cream here, but no cake. :-/

love, MOM

Anonymous said...

Your Grandma Hobbs used to make an open faced plum pie with a sugary topping that was a real hit. I suspect the recipe came from a German Mennonite source. It was really tastey! Good memories, thanks.

Dad