The past few months I've been taking a class a woman at our church offered on whole grain cooking. She's a nutritionist and would do a short presentation followed by a demonstration of a recipe. Then we could sample everything from a buffet of foods she had prepped relating to the evening's theme and have a time of question and answer. This was really fantastic for a number of reasons:
1) I was able to have a chance to get to know some people since the class was reoccurring and most people were able to attend regularly.
2) It was all in German, so I was able to learn and beef up my cooking vocabulary. Unless you cook with somebody, it's not really a set of terms I use in everyday conversation, so hadn't really had a chance to develop. Her presentations were on nutrition, a topic I had a lot of exposure to back in my Boston job. She didn't present anything new to me, but rather in new German vocab, so I learned that way. I was a copious note/vocab taker in my little notebook each class!
3) It was a very back-door type of approach to learning German cooking. I tend to avoid cooking 'typical German' dishes as they're really very fatty and carb laden. Too much cream sauce, fatty cuts of pork, white flour/white potatoes, etc. I just can't handle that on a regular basis. Stefan adores that stuff, so it's a tug of war. Thankfully this class offered healthier versions of certain things.
4) There was always plenty of leftovers for us to take a plate home with us. This allowed me to give Stefan tangible examples of things we could try at home. There were usually 5-7 things to try each night and while 1 or 2 things usually didn't make the cut, most things did. He was amazed at what he liked. I never told him what things were until after he'd tasted and rated an item - ha! I'll be doing more of that in the future.
5) Our instructor, Ruth, also leads fasting retreats that are a week long. Sadly the upcoming series of dates don't work with Stefan's vacation schedule and our plans, but she's a great resource for us to learn more about fasting healthily and as a spiritual discipline. Fasting is such a good way to clean out your system and start fresh. So many good things about fasting. This was a total bonus. GERMAN READERS can learn more about fasting retreats here.
6) I've gotten to the point where I made my own bread. I've always been scared of bread because it involves yeast, rising, waiting (ie planning) hours on end, etc. She gave us a starter for a sourdough and so I HAD to do it. Stefan had tried the bread I brought home and said if I made bread like hers he'd quit buying brötchen (bread rolls for German breakfasts and dinners). BONUS INCENTIVE because I hate the stupid brötchen fiasco in our house. We always run out at inopportune times, he won't eat the packaged kind, I personally don't like committing to a whole brötchen, and the ones that are supposedly whole grain are actually not AND they run 30-70 cents each. That adds up!! I hate the stupid bakery brötchen, regardless of how they taste! (Stefan hates it when I say "stupid bread" because that's what I call it when it creates a kitchen crisis.)
So I made the sourdough bread with spelt and rye flours, my starter, and lots of sunflower seeds and chopped walnuts. I don't have bread pans (whoops, because I never make bread! I usually just make muffins!) so I had to use my two cake pans. The recipe made a LOT of dough! I'm going to have to halve it in the future...or something.
These pans are not the greatest for this project.
BUT the bread was heavenly tasting!!!
I'll be making this on a regular basis now. It's so seriously vollkorn (whole grain) that a few thick slices are really filling! Power bread! I cannot believe how tasty this bread is. Stefan LOVES it and we haven't bought brötchen since I made it on Monday morning. I'll make some more this weekend. Yesssssssss!
1 comment:
Great way to learn the language!! And practical too! Go carbs! The bread photo is not overly appetizing, but I'm sure the aroma and taste were devine. Bring your recipies when you visit.
Dad
Post a Comment