Last night we walked into town and sat in one of the few air conditioned spots we know of. We had iced coffees and then proceeded to walk along the river down to the boat rental area. Amy, from New Zealand and here at the university for the semester, is a friend from our Bible study group and just started working at the little cafe.
She made us little waffles with powdered sugar and we watched the ducks, boaters, and bikers for a bit. We met her boss, who seems like a really nice guy. We were there for awhile chatting with both of them - nice to just shoot the breeze sometimes! Then we headed home for a late dinner and invited Amy to join us. She and I made burritos while Stefan got some schoolwork done. Nice evening!
Also - I'm discovering Germany's massive beetles. The other night I thought a hummingbird flew into our sliding glass door. Turning the balcony light on let me see the thing squirming on the outdoor table. It was a massive beetle (6-7 inches long) with huge wings and huge pincers! Hideous!! Of course it flew off before Stefan ran into the room. But then on Monday night we saw one together outside of our building door as we came in from the garden. His wings aren't out and I have nothing next to it for a size comparison, but trust me, he's HUGE! Gross - I will just flip if I run across one inside the house! WHY does nobody have screens to keep all this stuff out of the house??! (screens on the windows are extremely rare on this side of the pond and I really don't like that!)
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
Down by the river
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sounds like an extra nice evening in Marburg, despite the invasion of (harmless) beetles. I'll have to send my fisherman's ruler for you to measure your bugs. The scale is designed to support good story telling.
D
Post a Comment