So i'm sitting in an internet cafe writing this because our laptop is dead. The shop has been trying to figure out the problem, but it's looking very iffy. If we have to buy a new computer we probably will not be able to take our trip to Bavaria this summer. Please pray an affordable solution can be found.
Saturday I had my exam - I found out I passed the oral exam, but will have to wait to find out exactly how well I did. The written section of the exam I will definitely have to wait the 6-8 weeks to find out how I did. I feel like the written section went well and I will likely pass - although I just don`t know.
We were set up much like when somebody takes the SATs in the USA. Except the woman sitting next to me kept talking to me and asking me would I look at her answers and say what I thought? and could she see what I put down? I couldn`t believe it!! I told her no, we were in an exam and shouldn`t talk. I was worried the proctors would come over and think I was cheating. I pulled my test book up like a shield and covered my scantron. During the break I told a proctor it was a problem and he did nothing. I also told her during the break I wasn`t trying to be rude, but it wasn`t allowed as this is a serious test. She looked at me and said "You are young. You are free. You have a better chance." and then she walked off. In the second section she kept talking to me and asking me what certain words meant, etc. I just ignored her and she made faces at me. My friend, Fiona, told me that on her side of the room people were whispering all the time "What did you put for #38? What did you put for #39?" and so on.
I just find that really distressing. First that SO many people were cheating, and secondly that the proctors did nothing about it! During any standardized test I've ever taken, there was always a threat that you and your test would be thrown out if you so much as breathed too loud. All this talking during the exam made it hard for me to concentrate at times, but the good part was that previously I was annoyed at how much time we had for each section- in my practice tests I only needed about half the time -- but with the chattering, I definitely needed all time I had.
Now Stefan and I begin 6 weeks of summer holidays. If all can go well with the computer we hope to spend 1-2 weeks at Franks apartment in Bavaria. We also were thinking of a few day trips and of course finishing projects at home and in the garden. On Friday we have an American visitor flying in to stay with us for a bit before starting his summer project with Berlitz. Nice to not have to stress about schedules for now!
Monday, June 23, 2008
cheats and crashes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ooooh, those long European summer vacations....
Six WEEKS!! Wow, I've not had a block of vacation like that in 34 years (American capitalisim). Enjoy the time together and relax.
D
Post a Comment