I passed the oral exam with a 95%, which is awesome and helped soften the blow of the 71% average on Tuesday's written exam. We were given the whole written exam back to review the corrections, but had to hand them back after 15 minutes. Basically I think somebody really messed up grading my text production. Either I didn't deserve to pass it, or somebody did something really weird that makes no sense. I saw this on a couple of friend's exams as well. I tried to address this with the teachers, but was brushed off.
Honestly, I think they pass you unless you do TERRIBLE. I don't know. There's definitely something fishy about the whole thing. Stefan is upset about how a few things have been handled there, aside from the obvious teacher reviewing a copy of the test a week prior. So I think we're going to make an appointment with the head of the program and review a few things.
Things to discuss: 1) I was mocked and spoken to sarcastically on registration day when I said something wrong. Another student was engaged and encouraged to laugh along. 2) A teacher showed us a copy of the exam a week prior and reviewed the answers with us. 3) There was serious disorganization when one teacher just didn't show up to class one day. 4) Blatant cheating going on during the exam that nobody caught. Proctoring needs to be more strict. 5) Strange grading on the final exam. Some were graded out of 200 points and others out of 100 points.
Thankfully I'm not desperate for their seal of approval, so if they tried to 'get back', they really can't. However, it's going to be an awkward meeting. The bottom line is, there are things going on where students really can't defend themselves either due to language or feeling like this would ruin their degree chances and then they'd be sent back to their home country, or maybe they just don't know how to defend themselves. Stefan says I should explain things, and he will sit in, help with any nuanced sections, and make sure that something is done about the situation. This doesn't promise to be fun, but it simply must be reported. It's unfair to the students who depend on this program to help them not just linguistically, but also to adequately prepare them for the end DSH Exam that will allow them to then go on to the university degree programs, where they will then have to perform on their own.
I kept letting things slide instead of dealing with the things as they came up, there was always some way to rationalize it or just let it go (well, except viewing the test, hard to rationalize), but really, after Stefan listed off the things it was apparent that it needs to be dealt with. I don't know what we really hope to get out of it. The meeting will likely not happen until sometime next week or so. But posting about it here is a method of accountability.
Friday, December 5, 2008
95% Mündliche, 35% Ethics?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Jules, you have to do it because you are accountable to the Lord for it, but don't expect it to change anything you know? I really hope it does but I think you need to prepare yourself to speak the truth in love clearly and reasonably and the let it go to the Lord.
Praying for you! Megan
Good for you! No matter what they come back with, you are at least bringing it to their attention and letting them know that you expect more from the program!!
MOM
Nothing quite like mocking and sarcasms when you say something wrong. I encountered this quite a few times in Indiana, and people would actually ask me to repeat the words that I had mispronounced so they could laugh a little longer. (I still have a list of words I simply never say.) I finally just got really upset with these "friends" of mine, and said they needed to tell me how much I'd learned instead of pointing out where I was still lacking. So here's one for you: You got 95 % on your oral exam!!! And you more than survived a job interview in German just a couple of weeks ago!!! You go girl. You've learned so much and that is just proof of the fact that you are brilliant and smart and amazing. Be proud, never shy.
Post a Comment