I survived my interview experience. It was stressful. They always are, but manuevering through the whole thing in German was another story. I was sort of hoping to begin in German and then morph into English. No go. It was all German all the time. 40 minutes with the head of Research and Development and a woman from HR, then 40 minutes with another guy from R&D. I managed with the German, but it was far from elegant.
Good points:
- I could ride the bus there practically in a straight shot.
- Everybody in the department, except the chair, switched their computer settings to English somehow even though they still have a German keyboard. This means I wouldn't have to re-learn how to use Excel in German (horrors!).
- Nearly all the communications from the office are in English.
- The woman currently working in the position has her own private office with a door and huge window. I think it overlooks forest and grassy hillside and part of another building. So maybe I'd get the office if they hire me??? That would be beyond cool!
- Everybody seemed nice, normal, and friendly. Good first impressions.
- It's a job I'm 99% sure I could do well. (after learning curve of course)
Points to ponder:
- It's a high level secretary job supporting the top 4 people in R&D, which is the head of R&D for all of Europe, and basically the main R&D for the entire international company = Pressure.
- The whole supporting 4 people thing is no fun. I already know that. Everybody wants everything yesterday, so there would have to be a clear hierarchy and regular communications to make this work well. If they already have a good system for this, then good, but if they don't it's going to be messy.
- The woman working there now is only leaving because she's retiring and has been there for 20 years, meaning there are HUGE shoes to fill.
- There's a really scary and complicated internal program I would have to learn that everybody hates and finds confusing, and of course it's also in German. At least they acknowledge it's terrible, but I would need really good training on that.
- All inter-office communications are in German, and, I'm guessing, in short form with lots of weird acronyms that have lots of z's in them. German office lingo and basic vocab = must learn fast if I'm hired.
- That whole secretary thing is something I was hoping to move away from. I mean, it seems like a nice place to work and all, but I'd like to have my own secretary, y'know? I was hoping it would turn out to be a job that was more technical-writer oriented or something. But since I don't have any specific training there, or, for that matter, any German certificates or Ausbildungen, then I pretty much have to take what's out there. It would be nice to be able to work back in my own field someday, but we need the money, so I have to at least try for the job. One day I tell you, one day!
P.S. - We have a friend's laptop until Saturday/Sunday and are hoping to buy a laptop of our own next week. But it will likely be a German one and take some more getting used to for me!
4 comments:
So proud of you for making it through the interview! Will be praying for God's will.
Love, MOM
We had the same problem.
David had to get used to the German keyboard in Germany and I to the English one.
Now, I used the English one all day but David kept the German one and uses it. :-)
You can get used to it. If not, just right click on the bottom bar, then toolbar, then chose the language bar and a little blue window appears. You can change the language from German to English. :-)
Good job Juliette! I'm proud of you. You seem to have a lot more courage than I did when I first came here. (And of course, now that I have it, I'm leaving.)
Hey there!
I am giving you an award:
Part of accepting this award is:
Displaying the award.
~Linking back to the person who gave it to you.
~Paying it forward & nominating 7 blogs.
~Leaving comments on their blogs telling them they’ve received one.
~Enjoying the award.
You can find the picture on my blog!
Antje
Post a Comment