Monday, August 31, 2009

Pie

This weekend I made pie. Black-bottomed banana cream pie to be exact. It was good. I made the pie crusts myself, even though I have an aversion to making pie crusts. There's no buying of pie crusts here in Germany - pies are an anomaly in this country.
The thing is, I made two. One was for guests who came over for cake and coffee. We served it up and this is what was left. The second one...well, we took it to a birthday party. I pre-sliced it so it was obvious what to do.

Except.

It wasn't obvious.

People dug into it with spoons and forks and plopped scoops of it on their plates like it was a pudding. It was a mess. I cringed every time I looked over at the dessert section. What's the point of a slaved-over pie crust if you could've just made black-bottomed banana cream pudding??

Yes, pies are something unique in this country - pies, muffins, brownies, and 'fluffy' cakes in Germany are the equivalent of tirimisu and geleed fruit tarts in the US. I really don't feel like making pies for Germans again any time soon. Well, maybe if they're supervised - ha ha!

4 comments:

Lucy said...

It looks delicious!

Allison said...

I laughed so hard when I read about your pie incident... Willkommen in Deutschland! Piecrusts are just too darn hard to make for a scoop session like that. I guess that is why I don't make quiche anymore... I don't have the patience to make the crust. So did they like it or did you hear the whole night... "Das ist mir zu süß"?

Juliette said...

Yeah, welcome to Germany is right!

ok - people liked it, but although I didn't hear the whole "Das ist mir zu süß" line, I did notice people either eating slowly or taking small portions. I really try to take the sugar down a notch as a rule anyhow, oh well!

Unknown said...

YuM !!!!! we wish we could taste your pie.

We hope to share some good food when you visit Toronto.

love
Oma and Esther