A few weeks ago Stefan's school had "The Day of the Open Door", which is when people can visit the school and sit in on certain classes to preview them as they consider whether their children should attend the school next year. Stefan was worried nobody would come to his class because they had a bad time slot and were at the very top and furthermost classroom. I said I would be there for support, and a 4 other adults also showed, so it worked out. The kids had prepared a special English greeting for any visitors that were there and were happy to have people to actually use it on! Here's Stefan in front of his classroom:
Stefan's 6th graders were learning about how to place orders from take out menus in English. I suppose the curriculum is aimed at practical themes so if the kids go on vacation with their parents they feel like they can actually use their foreign language skills! The kids all knew who I was, but when Stefan had the visiting adults join small groups of students to 'practice their English' with them, the group Stefan had me join looked a little terrified. They knew I was a native speaker, ha ha! However, they all did a good job. I think our little group ordered fish and chips way too often and I had to answer "No, I do not like spicy food" about ten times!
Stefan continues to be busy at the school with teaching, being the homeroom teacher for his regular class of 6th graders and now also for a class of 9th graders who's teacher is on sick leave. He's also supervising 3 upperclassmen in their yearly research projects as well as putting in extra work as one of the 3 union reps for the 40+ teachers at his school. I almost forgot about the two university students working on internships/practicums he's supervising. Busy guy! Please keep him in your prayers as he plugs away!
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
My favorite teacher
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Stefan is my favorite teacher, too!
Nice view in and from the classroom, don't work too hard Stefan!
Post a Comment