When I arrived at my interview yesterday I was about 10 minutes early. I was seated in the boss' office and a guy from the office made small talk with me while we waited for the boss to arrive. The boss arrives, guy goes out, and the interview begins with the boss saying "well I should tell you the position has already been filled - actually with the young man you were just speaking to" --- oh. ok. good to know... She then continued saying that she anticipated the workload to be more than 6-8hrs/week and so she would be interested in being able to remain in contact with me.
Then she started the regular interview questions. Again, all in German. I am amazed I get through these things in a foreign language. I really think having to concentrate on my secondary language skills takes away the regular interview jitters. But all the while I have this running commentary going on inside my head correcting myself, searching for a word - WHY can't I think of this word? I use it all the time?! or realizing I've used the wrong gender/case and so on.
So I said I would be interested in remaining in contact as needs arose. I'm a little concerned about the potential projects because she didn't thoroughly read the information I sent prior to our meeting. She seemed to think I could do translation work, which I said right away was something I was willing to try, but not experienced in. (I had to translate a newsletter once and it was a MESS; really stressful because my brain understands the gist of the German, but can't spit it out in clear English, weird.) She didn't seem to care and said we could work on things. They are moving offices in the next month so it will be chaos until probably April.
SO once again, I'm back to the drawing board. I will say that overall I had a good impression of the place. Everybody seemed genuinely nice, all 4 of them, ha ha. I appreciate how they don't use the formal "Sie" there, and just the informal "du" term, which makes it automatically more friendly. Talking to the guy who got the job and with the boss, there was common interest and respect given that I was involved in a local church (on my German CV, another story for another time)--I can't describe it, it was nice somehow, like I was wondering if they were involved in churches somewhere - which is weird to think, but it would be really unusual in Germany, so that's why it's worth noting. I did find out the guy who got the job was a PK, which made me laugh inside.
Then I spent the afternoon going to an oral surgeon's office. A friend was scheduled to get her wisdom teeth removed and needed the moral support. She had local anesthesia, so was awake for everything. She says she wished she had paid the extra 100 euro for full anesthesia when she had been given the choice; says it would have been a good investment. I felt bad for her. This is the second time I've heard of wisdom teeth getting removed in Germany, and both were with local anesthesia. I had never head of that before moving here. I am SO GLAD I had laughing gas and was totally knocked out when mine were removed!! Has anybody heard of people in the US or Canada only having local anesthesia for this procedure??
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Maybe and maybe not
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I got mine taken out with local anesthesia! I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being "totally knocked out". Luckily mine were removed one at a time so it really wasn't that bad - although they had to go through the bone to get to the two bottom ones. John had his removed in the US: All four at once, local anesthesia. He went and had dinner at a Chinese place with friends afterwards. But that's John. He's in his own category.
I'm proud of your interview skills. Good work. It must have been frustrating to hear the position had been filled before you even started your interview.
We should talk soon. And we should plan a trip this spring. You guys feel like traveling all the way here? Or should we take trains and meet half way in Denmark? I've always wanted to go to Legoland.
Post a Comment