Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Germans on missing Germany

I have eight Germans in the English class I've been teaching at the university. The other eight are from various countries and are here to study abroad. Last week they had to hand in a short writing assignment on what they would/do miss about their home country when abroad. I had to laugh at the comments (see if you spot the trend):

German #1: would miss German punctuality, the prevalence of trash cans, and the bread. "I like the German wholemeal bread and I've never seen a similar bread which makes me happy. When I have breakfast abroad, I'am regularly not satisfied."

German #2: would miss German punctuality, how bike-friendly it is here, and the bread. "I do love German bread, which is unique all over the world." However she did say she would NOT miss: "ugly garden gnomes, schnitzels and all these disgusting sauces, which are so popular in the plain German cooking, the so called German "Spießigkeit", the state Bayern, the "Oktoberfest" and the famous but annoying carnival in Cologne." ha ha ha ha ha!

German #3: would miss German punctuality, German cleanliness, and the logic of the German highway system. "...the highway systems are very confusing in other countries. In comparison with the German intelligent highway system, which is founded by the German efficiency or thoroughness, other systems are not so well structured and helpful for the road users."

German #4: would miss German beer, clean tap water, how safe Germany is, and the bread. "...comparing to the most of the [many] countries [previously listed], the German one is the best and more tasty one."

German #5: would miss sparkling (bottled) water, orderly auto traffic, and the bread. Her first sentence is: "When I am abroad, the first German thing that I miss is the bread. The German bread tastes so good and I've never been to a country that has so many types of bread. Bread is the primary thing for breakfast."

German #6: would miss the seasons, German jokes, and the bread. "There are some sorts of food you can not buy in other countries if you do not stay in Germany, such as brown bread for example."

German #7: would miss the language, the humor, the beer, the soccer, and the bread. "...and specially the bread. I think it is hard to find bread as good as in Germany in other countries."

German #8: would miss the reliability of people, the cheese, and the bread."Germans have the most kinds of bread, I think. In Germany I will never miss the bread and I do not eat that much but when I think back on every time I spent abroad I always missed the bread."

For the record, a Spaniard tells me he misses the parties, the healthy food, and the beautiful women!

8 comments:

Karoliina said...

This is too funny, but I'm puzzled about the bread. I've had some during my visits. I don't remember it being bad but quite frankly I don't remember it being so very special either. Maybe it's because, in reality, we have "the most kinds of bread" in Finland, and because every time I leave I miss it so much I almost die. Considering that, it is no wonder I was inept to give German bread its proper value.

I should come and see what they offer wheat-free...

MS said...

Um...wow. Who knew the bread was so important?

Juliette said...

Karoliina, when you do come (b/c you ARE coming down here!), bring some of those awesome oval shaped Finnish things. Yum.

Megan - Stefan will definitely make sure that you get a good sampling of the bread at least one of our mornings together!

Unknown said...

Haha, that's so funny! I do have to say, one of the things I missed the most when I left was definitely the bread. Actually I still miss it!

Juliette said...

Stefan says I am reinforcing stereotypes by publishing this post, but honestly: when 8 of 8 Germans write this on their own...ha, sorry! And the Spanish guy, well, it was too funny - they said it, not me! =P

Anonymous said...

I am willing to come back to try some more bread and test their theory. Bread is good anytime. It was fun to read those and hear the lament!
16 students altogether? Your German must be more fluent now!? Still miss you but love the updates from afar.Beth

Juliette said...

Oh Beth, thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm not teaching in German, phew! The English class has to be taught in English =) We miss you guys too and wish we could visit like last Christmas!

Andrew Jones said...

So I am going to put on my cheesy school boy smile and say, "The thing I miss most about Germany is the Rautenbergs!!!!" lol! but seriously. :)