We're finally starting to catch up on things around here. We came back to a rush of laundry, getting things ready for Stefan to go back to school, I had a stack of correcting to do and a session of my scientific english class to prepare for. We had doctor's appointments and family illnesses to contend with, and it was only a few days ago I managed to get in a huge grocery shopping trip that so desperately needed to be done. (Honestly, did our apartment eat while we were gone?!)
However, despite all the craziness, Stefan managed to make my birthday a lovely one! My own 'Geburtstagstisch' (birthday table) awaited me. Stefan was pretty sneaky during our trip and apparently aquired quite a stash of 'free' tea bags along the way, courtesy of the various hotels and ferries. I had discovered I really liked the Lipton Black Currant tea we kept seeing around Scandinavia, so now I have my own supply...and no, it's not available at any of the Marburg grocery stores!
There was also a great package from my family. I now have enough grosgrain ribbon to last a lifetime! My sister and brother-in-law also sent a really nice web cam; we're super excited about this because now we can finally use Skype (are we the last people to sign up for this?!?). We have a great internet phone, but since my little niece is getting a little older (and a sibling is on the way), we're happy to get to interact with her a little more. Maybe she'll even recognize us next time we visit!
But to get back to Stefan's sneaky behavior: The glass in the pictures is from a Finnish company, Iittala. When we were visiting our friends, John and Karoliina, in Finland (pictures will come, promise!) we all went to Karoliina's mom's one afternoon for their version of 'Kaffee und Kuchen' (coffee and cake). Her mom had a lovely pitcher that I really admired. Stefan and I later saw this when we were exploring an Iittala shop, however, we decided we couldn't really justify the expense. Apparently he decided my birthday was worth the expense, so he snuck off one day, made his purchases and stashed them away.
Scandinavian design is pretty amazing in general, but this is a pretty cool gift for several reasons: First, it has some happy associations connected: our trip to Finland and time with our friends. I also really like the design; it reminds me of rain and wood and ice. So it's no surprise that the Ultima Thule line was first produced by molten glass reacting against wooden molds. Also, the name, ultima Thule, means 'a distant or unknown region, and the northernmost part of the habitable world as thought of by ancient geographers'. So wood, water, glass, design, fellowship, and a road trip...definitely a great gift idea Stefan!
After Stefan was back from school we went down to Giessen to visit his mother. She had another Geburtstagstisch set up for me, complete with a lovely new tea set and Kalte Hund (literally, cold dog). Kalte Hund is a kind of 'cake' which is mainly just melted chocolate poured over stacks of cookies. It's so rich you can really only have one slice in a day! Needless to say, it's lasted a long time! (check out this hilarious video if you'd like to learn how to make your own Kalte Hund) We also had a lovely fruit torte with some of the best tasting peaches I've had in a long time!
ok, off to make lunch, then tutor two neighborhood kids in English, and then back to posts about our trip!! Finally!!



4 comments:
Very cool. I love the glass. Stefan, you dirty dog, what a great birthday present.
And I am very excited to hear that you guys are on skype now. Our account name is hillary.andrew.jones
We should make a skype date.
Talk to you guys soon.
Love,
Andrew, Hillary and Nathan Jones
Stefan's good. We had no idea! (At least I didn't.) I'm just wondering how he could hide all that glass in your car without you noticing...
Happy birthday!
No...you're not the last to sign up for skype. We over 40 types....ahem, over 50 types aren't as quick to do those things. Beautiful pictures of cakes and pitcher and glasses. I love the custom of the birthday table. What a sneaky little husband you have!! :0) Happy birthday, dear Juliette!!
I love your collages, and being able to catch a glimpse of your fabulous life!! I adore your pitcher and glasses and the tea set looks like it was made for your dining table. You are such a beautiful couple- great pictures!!
Post a Comment