We had a really good trip. Really good. We're still trying to figure out how to process it, but it was good. I'll be posting some highlights here over time. There's no real order to this, so don't get me wrong when I start with breakfast. It's the first meal of the day anyhow, right?
Stefan cries 'uncle' when I ask him to learn how to make pancakes or scrambled eggs, therefore I have to do it every time we make the effort here in Germany. So I was really happy to have my dad make breakfast every morning when were out at my parents' in Indiana. He actually loves making breakfast, so that worked out well for all of us!
There was usually bacon, toast, and OJ to go with the pancakes or scrambled eggs. Tasty OJ, not tetra-pak OJ with a bitter taste. That was luxury for sure.
One day we even had brunch with baked french toast and lots of other good stuff. My sister and brother-in-law came over to join the rest of us. They brought this one, who sat in her highchair and ate Cheerios.
Have I mentioned I have the cutest niece EVER?!?! Stefan and I are smitten. This child also never cries or fusses. The perfect baby. I can't believe we waited so long to meet LiLi in person. We can't wait to see her again!
So yes, breakfasts were one of the high points of our trip. I should also throw out to the Lanesville crowd that Floyd has a hidden talent for hash browns. He and Beth put out a breakfast spread of their own that is none too shabby! We also met some friends for pumpkin pie pancakes at a favorite breakfast place in Gloucester, Sugar Magnolia's, but I'll cover that later.
In other news loosely connected to breakfasts. Eggs. Our car got egged in Indy. Apparently we weren't the only one in the neighborhood. There was high drama since a local policeman came to my parents' door to inform us that our car had been egged. (There's a policeman out front! He's getting out! He's coming to the DOOR!)
Stefan didn't know what "egged" was - cultural learning point! He was all annoyed that teenagers would do such a thing. It took two passes through a car wash to come clean. It scratched the paint on the rental, too, but thankfully it wasn't a problem when we returned the car. I guess I should tell him about TP'ing and forking...
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Favorite things: breakfasts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
LiLi!!! So cute & soo happy you both got to meet her, finally! :) She misses you! (we do too, hah)
Breakfast is a great place to start out… I could do a daily posting for a week and still not completely cover all the deliciousness of a good ‘ol greasy American breakfast. Somehow sausage and waffles get it for me every time… I eat them for the first two weeks while at home. It is like a druggie needing her “fix”… I try to eat eggs, but somehow they just don’t taste as good in the States unless they are scrambled (gotten a little to used to yummy German brown eggs) but oh, the sausage!
Did you know that French toast used to be called German toast?… that is until anything associated with Germany became very unpopular after the war. At least that is what Wikepedia says.
It sounds like you were in the States at the same time we were…my trip was a spontaneous surprise trip from my hubby… flying pregnant, now there is something for ya. Hope you had a great trip… sounds like you kept the roads pretty hot.
German toast? it's a wonder they didn't call it Freedom Toast" ha ha!
and i know about the eggs, right? =)
Hahaha, I'm glad Stefan had that cultural experience! And I am so happy that your trip went so well. Your niece is beautiful!
Lili is cute but,,,,,, have you seen Mackenzie?? Enjoyed every minute that we had with you.
What is forked?? Beth
Miss you both so much! It just wasn't long enough. :) love, MOM
Post a Comment