Me: "So, where's the best place to get ice cream around here?"
Child 1: "I like Steffan's."
Me: "Oh, you mean the guy here in our neighborhood who has that tiny little shop?"
Child 1: "Yeah, he's got the best!"
Child 2: "I went there once and got two scoops on a cone and when I was standing outside the shop window I licked my cone and all the ice cream fell on the pavement. I was so stupid. Steffan said he'd give me another one for free, but I was embarrassed so I just stood there and ate the cone really fast and then ran home."
Child 1: "Seriously? You ran all the way here from Steffan's?"
Child 2: "Yeah, I felt stupid. I can't believe I did that."
Child 1: "You were stupid not to take the free cone. I would've taken the free cone."
Child 2: "Arrggh!" (covers face with hands)
This was a conversation I witnessed between the two neighborhood kids I tutor in English (9 and 10yrs old). It was our next-to-last class and we were trying to decide where to go for their 'final exam'; they would have to read/translate an ice cream shop's menu in English, interact with a waiter who only spoke English (my own Stefan, ha!), and then order in English.
We accomplished a lot this past school year, but it was always tricky for me to find topics that were motivating to them and not too school-esque. They're kids and total soccer addicts, so our two main themes were learning how to play soccer in English and learning how to order food, specifically ice cream, in English. When they go on vacation in other countries they'll have to speak English to play with other kids or get treats, so I figured these themes would motivate them -and it worked. We also squeezed in other vocab areas and started building phrases. The parents have been really pleased and have already asked me to continue next school year if scheduling permits (one will start upper level schooling at a local Gymnasium).
For now, though, we're all enjoying summer vacation. Stefan and I headed up to the Ostsee (Baltic) for a week and then down to the Spreewald area south of Berlin for a few days. More on that later.
Sunday, July 10, 2011
On Ice Cream
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi, I am sooooooo glad to see you back!! I've missed your little stories. All is well? Beth
Post a Comment